Sunday, April 01, 2007

Memories to Treasure


Such an early start!! We were at Charlotte's school by seven fifteen, waiting for the coaches and peering at each other in the dark! Thankfully, Caron introduced me to the Maestro, Charlotte's teacher, so I did have someone to 'follow' all day. Not knowing where I was going and not fully understanding the language was a bit scary. I'm sure that poor woman has nightmares of this strange English person being behind her every time she looked around!

The Spanish are renowned for poor organisation but I was so impressed with the way the whole thing was handled. Four coaches full of children, Mums, Dads, Grans, Grandads, Tia June and not a hitch.

First stop, Los Cristianos and the ferry. It took us around an hour to get to San Sebastian de La Gomera. Charlotte found the play area and I found coffee. It would have been better had I found my sea legs first as I lost half of it!

Our first stop was to this park..........look, real grass.......... where we spent half an hour or so eating our breakfast. The children were so impressed with ladybirds.
Off we went through the main streets of the town and I'd understood enough to realise that we were about to visit the Church. Such well behaved youngsters as they all sat quietly and prayed. Charlotte was peeping!

Back on the coaches to tour the island. It was
breathtaking. We stopped for a loo break and to stretch our legs for half an hour and then off again towards the top of the island. It was flippin' freezing. Knees knocking and hankering for a nice hot coffee, I ate my lunch and drank water. Thank goodness I didn't wear shorts! Charlotte and her mates enjoyed the swing park though and I had a bit of a natter with a couple of mums. Glad to be back on the coach!

On the first leg of our journey we had been treated with the sight of the island of La Palma but as we headed back towards San Sebastian, we had our first sighting of Tenerife. It was so beautiful. Sadly, I couldn't take a pic. Mount Teide seemed suspended above the clouds. Wonderful. One of the best sights I've ever seen. Charlotte had fallen asleep and missed it. Silly sausage!

All in all, a really wonderful day which I wouldn't have missed for the world. Caron found two well wrecked travellers when she collected us from school. Happy though!









No comments: